Saturday, March 31, 2012

Howdy Partner!

"The Mule Tamer" by John C. Horst is my first ever attempt at reading a western and I was pleasantly surprised. I was drawn right in with the likable and realistic characters who continued to develop throughout the story. There's Arvel the main character, who goes from being a humble mule tamer to one of the heads of the Arizona Rangers. Then there's Chica, a saucy Mexicana cowgirl who is not afraid to say her mind or kill a man to make a point. She starts off as unlikable but quickly turns into a complex and interesting character as she gets romantically involved with Arvel. Thirdly there is Dick, Arvel's friend and head of the rangers. He's a likable fellow and constantly relies on Arvel's quick wits and skills to get them out of sticky situations.

There isn't much of a plot, but that's not a terrible thing. The book consists of a bunch of skirmishes and side stories about the Arizona Rangers and the growing relationship between kind-hearted Arvel and the un-tameable Chica.

Since my first foray into western reading was so successful I may be obliged to check out some more in the same genre. Thank you John C. Horst for providing me with this copy for review. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment