Monday, July 23, 2012

Outlander Read-A-Long Week #6. The End!!


Phew, we're done! I finished my first read-a-long and I had a lot of fun!!! Outlander wasn't my favorite book and I'll honestly probably never read it again but I'm glad I read it and I can scratch it off my "to-read" list. Score! Also, I totally cheated and read the whole book in like the first week. My bad! Sorry for cheating!!
1. Jaime has the worst case of seasickness. Do you get seasickness or motion sickness? If not, is there something else that makes your stomach a bit queasy?
I don't get seasickness but I definitely get a bad case of sea legs and I did have to use an airline puke bag one time. But beyond that I'm a champ!
2. How did you handle reading the details of Jamie’s torture at the hands of Randall? Did you blame Jamie for anything that happened during the encounter with the captain? If you were Claire, how do you think you would have taken hearing about the abuse from your husband? What did you think of Claire’s method’s to get Jamie to start healing psychologically from his wounds from Randall (when she filled his room with opium and simulated another attack by the Captain)?
Umm, that was soo fucked up (pardon the language). I was NOT expecting it to be that bad. Like at all. Poor Jamie no wonder he has a mental and physical come apart, that is hell on earth. I can't imagine having to hear about that litany of abuse, especially if it happened to my husband. I wouldn't even know how to handle or process that. I do know that I wouldn't have handled it like Claire did though. Where the hell did she get that idea from? That was just weird and trippy but I guess it worked.
3. This cover: 
“history, warfare, medicine, sex, violence, spirituality, honor, betrayal, vengeance, hope and despair, relationships, the building and destruction of families and societies, time travel, moral ambiguity, swords, herbs, horses, gambling (with cards, dice, and lives), voyages of daring, journeys of both body and soul…you know the usual stuff of literature.”
Which of the above elements of Outlander were you most looking forward to? Which did you enjoy the most while reading? Which did you enjoy the least while reading? Which did you just not care about? Any of these do you which there were more of? Or less of?
I was looking forward to the history aspect more than anything and in that regard I wasn't let down. The tagline makes it sound super epic though and it really isn't. Personally, I didn't care about half of the crap it mentioned but oh well. 
4. Share with us your overall thoughts on Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Your favorite quotes, scenes, and/or your favorite words that had you searching for a dictionary. If you haven’t been marking your favorite quotes/passages, you can find Outlander quotes on Goodreads.
Overall, I wasn't in love with this book. It wasn't horrible it just wasn't what I was expecting and it wasn't my cup of tea. I probably won't read the sequels anytime soon but that's ok. I had fun doing this read-a-long so that's all that matters.
5. Are you going to continue with the series or are you done after Outlander? For those of us who are new readers of this series, any predictions? Do you think participating in the read-along helped or hindered your experience with the story? For those of you who’ve already read Outlander and books beyond, how much did you enjoy (or not enjoy) this re-read?
I'm going to pass on reading anymore. Sorry to be a party-pooper! I think participating in this read-a-long really helped me analyze and evaluate the story as I went through it. I definitely want to take part in another one soon!

1 comment:

  1. Weird and trippy, indeed! I don't know where Claire got that idea, but it was a little bizarre. I could see someone else doing that to Jamie, but to do it to her own husband?

    I'm sorry you didn't like the book more! Though, it's not for everyone. Glad you had a good time participating!

    ReplyDelete