Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Diviners


I'm really glad I found my way back to Libba Bray, in high school I had read her famed book, "A Great and Terrible Beauty" and really enjoyed it, but for some reason I didn't pick up any more books by her. I'm glad that streak has ended, because this was a fabulous read!

First off, this story takes place in in Manhatten during the Prohibition, there are speakeasies, great music and fabulous style. I'm already sold, I love reading about this era. Libba Bray did her research well, even the slang the characters use is spot on. You really are transported back in time while reading this. 

The story follows Evie as she is sent from Ohio to live with an uncle after she misuses her "gift" and it gets her in trouble (she can get memories and readings from people's personal objects). While working for her uncle in the museum of "creepy crawlies" she befriends a pickpocket (Sam), one of her uncle's employees (Jericho), a fabulous flapper (Theta), and reconnects with an old friend (Mabel). Together they help Evie's uncle and police catch the pentacle killer using the museums library, their intellect, and their "gifts."

Throughout the story we are introduced to other characters in the story that have unique abilities, Memphis, an aspiring black poet from Harlem, has the ability to heal others. His younger brother, Isaiah, also has the ability to see the future. It isn't all fun and games though having these abilities, all the "diviners" (those with gifts) keep dreaming of a crossroads and a great evil coming. Can they stop whatever it is? Is the pentacle killer the great evil?

This book is very fast paced, not a dull moment in here, the characters are very well developed and likable. The story is even spooky at parts and I had to keep reminding myself that this was a young adult novel, I shouldn't be scared!

Overall, it's a great great book. I know this review has been full of ramblings, but this book contains so much! Read it! It's suspensful, full of things that go bump in the night, historical intrigue, and friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment