Monday, October 13, 2014

Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty

A fantastic set of poems for teenagers! Ranging from body image, to men, to family, and friends, this dark and twisted collection of poetry will be sure to talk to teens. The fairy tale theme is a good cover for some hard topics such as: anorexia, unhealthy relationships, bullying, body image, and more. As the poet says in the author's note at the end, "I have never been particularly brave. But when I put on the mask of fairy tales and started writing these poems, I felt powerful. I felt free to poke around inside stories that scared me or saddened me or made me mad. The more I explored the darkness, the more I realized that the forest only looks impenetrable." The poems are accompanied by dark and sumptuous photography which really helps capture the feeling and essence of each poem.

For fans of Francesca Lia Block, young adult poetry, and dark fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment