Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Outsiders

I'm kind of a farce. I'm a teen librarian and I'd never read The Outsiders. It's downright shameful, I know. I sought to remedy that by listening to the audiobook version, which I thoroughly enjoyed! I instantly became engrossed in Ponyboy's narrative and took an instant liking to all the characters. The premise of the story centers on the Greasers, and not judging a book by it's cover. Ponyboy, Dairy, Soda, Two Bit, Dally, and Johnny are rough and tumble guys. They come from the wrong side of town, lack money and education, and are labeled by society as greasers. Together they make up a little gang of friends dead set on having a good time and taking down the soc's (socials - rich kids). One night things go to far and someone ends up dead. Ponyboy and Johnny have to decide what makes a man. Is it what society labels him or is it what's inside that counts?

A phenomenal coming of age story and perfect to help kids deal with bullying, gang violence, and reputations.

No comments:

Post a Comment