Friday, May 8, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

This book has been on my to-read list for ages so I was stoked when one of my book clubs chose it as one of our monthly books. Finally! I had a reason to read it!! Other than kick ass cover and title, I really had no idea what this book was about. I'm awful about reading book descriptions, I just knew there was a lot of hype and the cover art looked cool. I enjoyed the book, but probably would have enjoyed it even better had it not been hyped up soo much. Honestly, the pictures in the book make up about 80% of the wow factor. The story follows a young boy who, in a strange turn of events, finds out that all the tall tals his grandfather told him when he was a child are actually true (very reminiscent of Tim Burton's Big Fish). After his grandfather is brutally murdered by a monster, Jacob goes through a period where he thinks he's crazy, but then makes up his mind to get to the truth. He convinces his father to go with him to this tiny little European island to find his grandfather's roots, an orphanage for refugees. Soon Jacob finds out that his father meant an entirely different type of refugee (peculiars), and maybe they still might be alive. It's a little slow going, but the pictures (all real) help build up excitement. Interesting book, but I'm unsure if I'll pick up the sequel or graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment