Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Passage

Holy cow. This might be my favorite book that I've read in 2017. What a knockout! Initially intimidating with it's sheer size (it's 700+ pages), I immediately felt myself drawn into the story. If Stephen King's "The Stand" and Richard Matheson's "I am Legend" had an affair this book would be their dark love child. It's the end of the world with a supernatural twist. There are twelve virals and they escape their research facility and cause mass chaos killing humans or else turning them into monsters like themselves. Survivors call them smokes, jumps, or flyers. There is also a little girl that can seemingly control them and is like them, but not. The story is told in multiple parts, through multiple perspectives and gets progressively more fascinating. It starts before the virals, during, and then decades after so we can get a glimpse of how humankind is adapting to these new deadly circumstances. I cannot wait to read the other two books in this trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment